6 Low-Impact Exercises for Managing Joint Pain
Low-impact exercise is defined as that which places minimal stress on the joints, particularly the hips, knees and ankles. It doesn't feature sudden or jarring movements, but still provides a cardiovascular workout. Such exercise is ideal for those new to working out, people coming back from injury, pregnant women and the elderly. Let's take a look at some of the most popular forms of this exercise:
- Swimming: Water cushions the joints while providing optimal resistance, making swimming and water-based exercises excellent forms of low-impact exercise. Even injured individuals can move freely in the water, while accessories such as water noodles, weights and kickboards may also be utilized.
- Yoga: Consisting of a series of "postures," yoga involves relaxation techniques in addition to slow and steady movements. Yoga helps with balance while strengthening core muscles.
- Dancing: So long as jarring movements, such as jumping and leaping, are eliminated, dancing provides an ideal low-impact workout. It burns calories while strengthening muscles, particularly the core and leg muscles.
- Speed Walking: Arguably one of the best forms of exercise in existence, speed walking offers virtually the same benefits as jogging or running without the constant stress on joints. Increasing pace from 'regular' walking speed can double caloric burn, while this exercise also contributes to stamina, lowered cholesterol and improved circulation. A treadmill may be used for those who would rather exercise indoors.
- Stair Climbing: Another easy way to tone while conditioning the heart, stair climbing allows the person to carry his or her entire weight up the stairs, thus sculpting the thighs, hips and buttocks. However, it is not recommended for those with knee issues.
- Kayaking: An easy and effective workout that sculpts the arms and core, kayaking also exercises the legs, as balancing and turning of the kayak is required.
Smart exercise is an important part of overall health. To learn more about the personal physician services available through Lawrence Rueff, M.D., please call (502) 287-1599 today. Dr. Rueff specializes in preventative and internal medicine, as well as disease prevention and regular physical exams.
Lawrence Rueff, M.D. Blog
Written and Published By MORBiZ
6 Signs that it's Time for a Mental Health Appointment
7 Lifestyle Tips for Reducing Your Risk of Heart Disease
5 Benefits of Seeing a Concierge Doctor
Important Reasons to Get a Seasonal Flu Shot
Follow these Hand-Washing Steps to Prevent the Spread of Germs
What are good exercises for people who suffer joint pain?
Stay Healthier this Summer by Following these 6 Tips
How can I reduce my risk of type-2 diabetes?
Why switch to a personal physician?
Tips for Preventing High Blood Pressure
When should I schedule a mental health appointment?
Tips for Reducing Your Chances of Catching a Cold or the Flu
Why should I start going to a concierge doctor?
Why You Should Get a Flu Shot
Tips on Reducing Your Risk of Heart Disease
Am I experiencing a cold or an allergic reaction?
Top Benefits of Having a Personal Physician
Lifestyle Habits that Can Help to Reduce Your Risk of Type-2 Diabetes
6 Habits for Great Health this Summer
6 Exercises for People Who Experience Joint Pain
5 Reasons to Have Your Own Concierge Doctor
The Five Steps of Thorough Hand Washing
Why is high blood pressure dangerous and how can I avoid it?
6 Signs that You Should Schedule a Mental Health Checkup
5 Advantages of Switching to a Concierge Doctor
5 Ways to Help Avoid Catching a Cold or the Flu
Debating whether or not to get a flu shot? Here are six reasons why you should
What can I do to lessen my risk of type-2 diabetes?
4 Reasons to Start Seeing a Concierge Doctor
5 Tips for Great Summertime Health
Tips on Preventing America's #1 Killer: Heart Disease
Why should I choose a concierge doctor?
6 Lifestyle Tips to Avoid High Blood Pressure
6 Tips on Telling Apart a Cold and an Allergic Reaction
The Benefits of Having a Concierge Doctor
Why Should I Get a Flu Shot?
5 Reasons to Switch to a Personal Physician
5 Symptoms that Suggest You Should See a Doctor for a Mental Health Consultation
How can a personal physician benefit me?
Which exercises should I do if I suffer from joint pain?
4 Ways to Help Maintain Good Health This Summer
5 Ways a Personal Physician Can Help You Stay Healthy
What can I do to lessen my chances of catching a cold?
What can I do to help prevent heart disease?
Why should I start seeing a personal physician?
5 Tips on How to Help Prevent Type-2 Diabetes
When should I make a mental health appointment?
Three Aspects Well-Being that are Areas of Focus for a Personal Physician
Why Choose a Personal Physician?
6 Reasons to Get a Flu Shot
Here's what a great personal physician in Louisville can do for you
5 Tips on Preventing Heart Disease
5 Services Provided by a Reputable Personal Physician
Tips on washing your hands to help prevent the spread of germs
4 Lifestyle Choices to Help Prevent Type-2 Diabetes
How to Naturally Avoid High Blood Pressure
3 Signs that it's Time for a Mental Health Check-up
Hot Tips to Avoid Holiday Sickness!
Why Should Seniors Regularly Exercise in the Winter
5 Tips to Prevent the Common Cold
4 Tips for Better Health this Fall
How to Find a Physician in Louisville
What is Internal Medicine?
Do You Have a Cold or Allergies?
Four Effective, Unusual Workouts
4 Tips for a Healthy Summer
6 Low-Impact Exercises for Managing Joint Pain
Can I Get a More Personal Healthcare Experience?
5 Benefits of a Personal Physician in Louisville